Holiday Cookie Swap 2012: Macadamia Nut French Lace Cookies

December 11, 2012

Holiday Cookie Swap 2012: Macadamia Nut French Lace Cookies

Hello folks. It’s been a couple of months since I’ve been back on JournalF.com, and if it weren’t for the fact that I’m quite fond of several fellow Twitter users (because calling them Tweeters just sounds funny), I might still be away.  They pushed my people-pleaser button when someone (ahem, *cough* Michelle *cough*) suggested a virtual cookie swap.  Well, I decided to make French Lace cookies. But, not just any French Lace cookie: Macadamia Nut French Lace cookies.  Besides the fact that I love these crunchy, buttery, dainty cookies, they just indulge my desire for a good, honest, naughty treat. Fellas: do not fear the French Lace… cookies, that is.  It’s got a rich, manly, caramel taste that really gives your MANdible a work out.  You’re doing that fake chew thing right now, aren’t you?

Anyways, I try to make these cookies and of course, I burn the first batch. Guess what I was doing? By the way, did you know Instagram made an upgrade? But, I digress. So, I bake one batch on a silicone sheet and another on a buttered foil pan.  Why did I do that?  I thought I was being oh-so-clever by conducting a kitchen experiment at 9 o’clock at night, the day I said I was going to post my recipe.  And, what day is this?  (See Michelle’s rules below.) Yup.  So, the results are in: the silicone sheet cookie batch took longer to burn.   Nailed it!  Oh, have you noticed you can’t view your Instagram photos on Twitter in full display anymore?  So, only a few of the French Lace cookies came out. The rest, I will call The Sarkozy.  It was a wrinkled, crumbled hot mess.  Love ya Carla Bruni!

The ladies participating in Virtual Cookie Swap 2012 are:

Michelle (@WithinTheHive) – Soapbox Pixie
Teresa (@TeresaRobeson) – Growing, Writing, Creating
Monica (@SoapSudsations) – Soap Sudsations
Alina (@AlinaBKlein) – Alina B Klein
Carrie (@carriegarvin) Under The Willow
Scroll down for the recipe if you’re so inclined.  Happy holidays, folks!

MACADAMIA NUT FRENCH LACE COOKIES
Makes about 6 dozen 3-inch cookies.
(Recipe adapted from The All New All Purpose Joy of Cooking, 1997.)

Have all ingredients ready at room temperature, and preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Grease waxed parchment paper (I used unsalted butter) – works great on buttered aluminum foil and ungreased silicone baking sheets.

1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 to 3/4 cup toasted unsalted Macadamia nuts, chopped
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
3 Tablespoons milk
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoons salt

In a small sauce pan, begin melting the butter at medium heat and stir in all ingredients except for the nuts, oats and flour. Simmer until the sugar starts to turn a deep, golden brown. Turn off the heat.

Stir in nuts, oats and flour until well combined.  The batter will look very lumpy but spreadable.  With a teaspoon, drop the batter onto the cookie sheet, spacing it out about 3 inches apart. As the batter bakes, it will spread very thinly.  Bake 6 minutes, rotating your pan halfway through, ensuring even browing of edges.  Transfer the baking sheet to a rack to cool for a few minutes, occasionally checking for firmness.  Gently slide or peel the cookies off the parchment paper and transfer it to a plate to cool further.  For best results, place cookies in the refrigerator to harden more before serving, unless a chewy cookie is desired.  Store cookies in a dry, cool container (such as a wax-lined tin) for up to one week.

Variation: spread the dough thinly into two 5×7″ rectangles and bake.  Cool completely before lifting the large cookies to make cookie brittle.  Enjoy!

Hey, thanks for stopping by.  If you like this post, don’t forget to SHARE it. 😀

-Kathy

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Monica Glaboff December 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Oh those looks scrump-delicious! Your lucky family that gets to eat them all. Quick question can I substitute some other type of nut or will that kill the whole taste and feel of the cookies? Can’t wait to try this recipe as well. Thanks for sharing.

2 admin December 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Hi Monica,
The original recipe calls for pecans (and the original original recipe called for almonds), so I’m sure you could try whatever. I think walnuts could work, too. Thanks for reading Monica!

3 Teresa Robeson December 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Good question!

4 Monica Glaboff December 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Thanks!

5 Kathy {JournalF.com} December 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Hmm, I thought I replied to this, but I think it wasn’t through Disqus (here). Yes, you can substitute. I believe the original recipe from Joy of Cooking called for pecans, and the original, original called for almonds. I’ve had it with pecans, and it’s fantastic!

6 Monica Glaboff December 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I’m going to have to try it with different nuts. All in the name of science of course. :)

7 Michelle O. Valadez December 12, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I LOVE Macadamia nuts!! Ever since our trip to Hawaii… I can’t get enough. I will share pix when I make these :-) Thank you for participating in the swap Kathy!

8 Kathy {JournalF.com} December 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Thanks Michelle! They are addictive…

9 Teresa Robeson December 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM

M, do you buy yours locally or do you have a good place to order it from?

10 Teresa Robeson December 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Mmmm…Macadamia nuts are like butter! I just had a whole conversation with some homeschooled moms about coconut palm sugar recently and I went out and bought a bag so now I just need to get macadamia nuts and I’m there, baby!

11 Kathy {JournalF.com} December 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Fantastic! I look forward to hearing about how you play with those ingredients! P.S. see my reply to Monica above about substitutes.

12 Teresa Robeson December 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Thanks, Kathy! I think I’ll try it with almonds first (I hoard my pecans for pie and snowballs). :)

13 Alina B. Klein December 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM

You’re hilarious, and you make delicious-looking cookies! I will be baking and eating. :)

14 Kathy {JournalF.com} December 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Thanks Alina! I was in that kind of mood when I wrote it. May have been a combo between exhaustion and sugar high.

15 fanaticallydevoted December 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Sounds and looks great!! but you missed the “Oats” what is the measurement for Oats please? :) thanks!

16 fanaticallydevoted December 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

and Flour too… :) I am going to make these this weekend. thanks and sorry if I missed something or a link… thanks!

17 Kathy {JournalF.com} December 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Oh no, they got deleted by accident. I swear I typed it in! WIll update in a few minutes.. it should be 1.5 cups old fashioned rolled oats plus 2 tablespoons of flour. If you post a pic of your cookies, I’d love to check them out. Thanks for reading!